Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Short-term plan to get rid of depressions

Since I relocated from Germany to the United States it is difficult for me, because I don't know the city very well and the college I attend is a community college with more people who could be my parents instead of potential friends to hang out with. Also the college has literally no activities or a big amount of clubs to offer. The only club I attend is the international club, all other clubs are boring to me.

With this post I want to set up my short term plan on how to get rid of depressions. I know I will need professional treatment to overcome the underlying causes of my depressions, but this should keep me on distance with the dramatic lows of my mood.

The best way is to socialize and build up a strong social network that support me, or at least that is the recommended solution #1 searching the internet for help. Furthermore it is probably the cheapest way of self-help.

1. Attend clubs

As I mentioned before I already attend the international club on my college. I tried to find out if there are any public clubs or branches of  Associations I could attend, but could not find anything besides night and strip clubs. Anyone some hints for me or a link where I can find something nationwide?

In addition I also tried to get in touch with the students who are learning German, but unfortunately they have no classes on campus, just online classes :( I gave my contact details to the instructor with the notice, that any student can contact me if he wants to talk German. No response on my offer.  

I also thought about contacting the local Rotary Club in my city, but I am still not sure what the Rotary Club is about. Maybe I can volunteer with them. Would be happy if someone can provide assistance on that.


2. Attend Meetups

I am registered on meetup.com but I was still not encouraged to join a local meetup with like minded people. I try to find a upcoming event that fits.

Also tried to find some conferences on eventful.com without success, maybe useful for someone else.


One post from Lifehack that gave me some inspiration and has some more tips:
Get Out More: 6 Ways to Be More Social

1 comment:

  1. I can't help you with the Rotary Club or give you any hint on how to get rid of your depression, but I found this post from the better health channel which is supposed to be a Australian governmental project on health problems.

    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Depression_coping_and_recovering

    Good Luck and I wish you all the best on your way!!!

    ReplyDelete